Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Desing your own handbag


 So I got my inspration for this bag from a few sources. The first being  One Yard Wonders This is a really awesome craft book with a wide range of crafts that only require one yard of fabric or less. It includes all the patterns you need for every project. Which is where I got the pattern for this bag. The second source of inspiration came from This handbag from Charlotte Russe Last but not least was this awesome Fabric flower tutorial from Threadbanger.

You will need:
A pattern, you can make your own or use a pre-made one.
About one yard of fabric of your choice. (I recently went through my closet and took out all the clothes I no longer wore. So as the fabric for this bag I ended up using my maternity pants that were corduroy.)
I also used some left over fabric from other projects for the lining.
You may also want some interfacing...I did not used it because corduroy is such a durable think material I did not feel like i needed it.
Coordinating thread
Magnetic purse closure (optional)
Sewing machine
striaght pins
scissors

Step One: You will want to pin your pattern to the material and cut out all your pieces. If you are using a thin material you will want to use interfacing for the front/back of the bag and the sides/bottom. You will want to fuse your interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric using an iron.(or follow the manufacturer's instructions.)


Step Two: If you plan on using any pleats you will want to sew them now. The easiest way to make a pleat is to make two dots with tailors chalk about an inch  apart. match up the dots, press, and then sew at the top to hold.

Step Three: Assemble the exterior. If you want to add a bow like I did you will want to use two wide strips of fabric longer than the dimensions of the front of your bag. and a small piece of fabric to use as the bow's center. Wrap the small center piece of fabric around the two strips and closed by hand. Then you will want to pin the bow in place to the front part of your bag. Sew the bow where it meets the raw edges of the front piece. Once you have that done you will want to pin the side/bottom piece to the front piece and sew repeat with the back piece.

Step Four: Assemble the interior lining pieces. You can add a pocket if you like. I used the pocked from one of the pairs of pants that I used as the fabric. I just cut it from the pants pinned it to the lining and sewed it in place. Assemble the same way as the exterior.

Step Five: Insert the lining into the bag. Pin along the top raw edges and stitch together. Assemble the top band of the purse. I used four pieces to make the band and the straps. First I made the straps and then you will need four equal pieces the horizontal width of the bag. and about 3-4 inches tall. Take two of the pieces lay the first one the the right side facing up and then you will want to pin the strap in place on each side then lay the second piece face down on top of that lining up the pieces. Sew across the top. Repeat with the other pieces. then you will want to sew the band pieces together to form a circle. Hem across the bottom raw edges but leave them open do not sew them together.


Step Six: Attach the top band to the bag. Pin it in place and sew together. To finish it off you can add a closure like a magnetic one. You can also decorate with fabric flowers or whatever you like. Use your imagination and get inspiration from your favorite things!

2 comments:

  1. wow! that bag is super cute!

    -shineyglam.blogspot.com
    (FASHION, BEAUTY & WELL-BEING BLOG)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy it and get inspired!

    ReplyDelete