Sunday, December 12, 2010

Nursery Re-do How to!

I just love making things for the twins! Baby stuff is so much fun to make. (I am secretly hoping that one of my friends will have a baby soon just so I have an excuse to make awesome baby shower gifts!) When I had my baby shower for the twins I received a baby crib and bedding set from my grandparents. My Grandma which I adore made the bedding herself. She worked as a seamstress for many many years. (I think it rubbed off on me a little) She found this great owl fleece fabric and made a blanket and pillows and pillow covers. However If you have a baby I am sure you are well aware of how often there bedding needs washed....especially with twins. So there bedding unfortunately has gotten pretty dingy and worn out.  Also when we moved they ended up with an extra window in there new room and so I needed to make them new curtains anyway, so I figured while I was at it I should make them new bedding as well.



Things you will need:
Various fabric (washed and pressed)
bias tape
straight pins
sisscors
thread
sewing machine

Step One:
For the flags you will need to make a triangle pattern. Trace the triangle on to the fabric and cut out. Use different colors or patterns.  You will need a front and a back side for each flag. 

Step Two: Once you have all your pieces, pin the right sides together and sew together leaving the top of the triangle open for turning. Trim the bottom for a sharper point.


 Step Three: Turn the fabric right side out and press your seam. Then sew a top stitch around the flag.

Step Four: Take your bias tape and fold in half with the top side of the triangle flag between the fold and sew.



 For the pillow covers:
Measure the pillow that you are making the covers for and cut your fabric to its measurements leaving seem allowance. I made a smaller triangle pattern for the pillow and followed the same steps as above. Omit the top stitch and instead pin the completed flag banner across what will be the front of the pillow. Then top stitch it to the pillow. With right sides together sew the pillow case together and then hem the edge where the pillow will be inserted.





 For the blanket: I used a really nice and soft material...not sure what it is. Bought a pre-made lion applique and sewed it onto the corner. for the back side of the blanket I used the same material as the curtains. Pin the right sides together and sewed along the edges leaving a about a 12 inch gap for turning. I turned the fabric and pressed the seam then sewed a top stitch all the way around.






 Also made a small curtain  to cover the front of their changing table with the leftover material I had.


1 comment:

  1. I love bunting! I make mine out of scrapbook paper or recycled paper and stitch it all together with the sewing machine, I'll have to show you it. Nice stuff, I like that you repeated the pattern onto some pillows!

    ReplyDelete