Friday, December 17, 2010

How to make andOven Mitt and Hot Pad

So I sort of have a late start on my holiday projects....but better late than never, also I am pretty sure I will get done everything I have planned to make myself. I just started and finished this project today. This was fun because I have never done any quilting/batting before, it is always fun for me to learn new things. Actually this project was rather simple the hardest part is marking your quilt lines correctly. Once you have that done it is a breeze.



You will need:

about a 1/2 yard of fabric
batting, (since I enjoy using recycled materials I used layers of old towels for this project.)
bias tape (I made my own with some fabric scraps)
ruler
tailors chalk
thread
scissors
sewing machine
mitt pattern

Step one: For the mitt you will want to cut 4 , 10x13 in pieces from your fabric, and the same size for your batting/old towel cut 4 as well. On two of the pieces of fabric with your ruler and chalk mark 3 in diamonds. Take one of the pieces you marked and one of the un-marked pieces and place them wrong sides together. layer two of the pieces of batting together and pin and sew along your quilting lines. Repeat with the other pieces. For your pad cut 2 9x9 inch squares and 2 of the same size of the batting mark layer and quilt as well.



Step Two: Take your mitt pattern and pin to your quilted fabric and cut. Do this with both sides. Then with the right sides facing pin and sew the raw edges with 1/4 inch hem. Notch the curved edges and turn right side out.




Step Three: Finish the edges with your bias tape


No comments:

Post a Comment