Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Patchwork Craft Sack

I had fun making this because I have never done any patch work before but always wanted to try. I have been trying to organize and sort through my house to make the moving process a little easier. I was going through all my crafts today and deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. While I was doing that I got inspired to make this cute bag to store my knitting in. I have been keeping my knitting projects in a plastic zip lock bag but the needles are always poking holes through the plastic. So I thought it would be nice to have a cloth sack to keep it in. If you don't knit no worries it would be easy to add straps to make it a bag.


You will need: 
Your choice of fabric for the bag (I used a jersey knit material)
Various fabric scraps
thread 
pins
scissors
sewing machine


Step One: Cut the fabric you are using for the bag to the size you want the bag to be. Leave about 1/2 inch seam allowance. Then take one of your fabric scraps and cut it in a strip long enough to go across the bag with a little excess.
Step Two: Cut strips of your fabric scraps in various lengths and widths. Begin to place them on to the large strip. Arrange the strips until you like how it looks and pin them all into place.

Step Three: Using a zig zag stitch sew all the strips on. I set the horizontal spacing to 0.5 and the vertical to 3.0. This will give you a thick applique finish. This will take quite a bit more thread. It will also take more time.
Step Four: Once you have it all sewn then you can pin the patchwork to the bag and sew it on. I decided to also do a patchwork owl applique with the same stitch. Now you can sew the sack together with the right sides facing. Turn right side out. That is pretty much it. You can add some handle straps to make it into a bag, Or add any other finishing touches you like. This is a very easy bag to make the most difficult part is the patchwork but as long an you have some basic sewing skills I'm sure you could handle it. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Awwww! I wish you could pack me in a box and take me with you! That's right, you guys are moving. I am so happy for you all. I love Portland, you guys will love it down there. And when I come back down on occasion I'll come find ya and we can hang out! I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete