Monday, January 10, 2011

Cute and Simple Tote Bag

I have been wanting to make a new bag, something cute and simple that I can toss stuff in and go to the store, to social gatherings, the beach, practically anywhere. My purse usually doubles as my diaper bag because it is to much of a hassle to carry around two separate bags. I love the way this bag turned out and I whipped it up in hardly no time at all.


All you need to make this bag is fabric, thread, a sewing machine, scissors and an iron.

Step one: Press your fabric and cut out all your pieces. This bag was totally free handed I had no pattern I just cut the fabric a little bigger than I wanted the bag to be (In the shape of a rectangle, same for the liner). Cut long strips for the ruffles and a strip for the strap.

Step two: Take the front side of the bag and divide it into three equal sections and cut. Then make your ruffles. (Tip. Set the tension on your machine to the highest setting and the longest stitch setting.) This will ruffle the fabric for you, and save a lot of time.


Step three: Pin the ruffle to the inside of two of your front panels and sew. Repeat on the other side. Then line up the front side and the back side together fold in half and cut off the bottom corners in a curve. With right sides together pin and sew. (I added pleats to the front and back of the bag to make it a little more narrow at the top.) Turn your bag right side out and press your pleats and seams on the bag. Lay the bag on top of your liner fabric. Cut the liner fabric to the new shape of the bag. With right sides together hem the liner fabric and insert into the bag.

Step four: Make your strap. Fold the outside and the liner fabric to the inside of the bag and pin going all the way around and inserting the strap on each end. Sew all the way around and you are done.

1 comment:

  1. i like your bag :) im 15 and im trying to learn :)

    ReplyDelete