Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Adorable Owl Banner


I made a post a while back on the birdie mobile I made for the twins. If you can't already guess the theme in their nursery...well it's Owls of course. So I have been wanting to make them a second mobile but I wasn't sure if it would be weird to have two. So earlier today I was just browsing on etsy and looking at owl stuff like I often do and I came across these adorable owl banners. I already had everything I needed to make one. So naturally I couldn't help myself.


You will need:

To make a pattern that looks like this




Various fabrics
ribbon with a thin width
ribbon with a thick width (I went through nearly a whole spool)
White, black and orange/yellow felt
poly-fil
scissors
straight pins
needles and thread
sewing machine
hot glue gun with glue sticks


Step One With your pattern you will need to cut a total of 14 body pieces, 14 eye pieces, 14 pupil pieces, 7 beak pieces. Also cut the thin ribbon in 7 equal 8inch pieces. You are also going to need to cut two pieces of the think ribbon of equal length approximately 7 feet long.






Step Two Okay now that you have all your pieces cut out you are going to take the body pieces of each owl and face the right sides in so that the wrong sides are facing out. Place one of the thin ribbons you cut between the fabric so that there is about a quarter inch is sticking out of the top side and the rest sticks out the bottom. Pin at the top. Continue doing this with all the owls.




Step Three Now you can sew around the edges of the owl leaving a opening in the bottom for turning and stuffing. Be sure to sew through the ribbon at the top and very careful to not sew it to the bottom side. The ribbon on the bottom is hanging out here the opening should be. Once you have them all sewed turn them right side out. This is usually when you would stuff and sew closed but it's easier to do that later.



Step Four Take the two long strips of the thicker ribbon and line them up with each other. Find the middle and mark it with a pin. Then measure approximately 10 inches out from the middle on each side and mark with pins. Continue to measure 10 inches from each mark until you have 7 evenly spaced marks. Now take each of the thin ribbons that have the owls attached and place them and pin them between the two thick ribbons where the marks are in the order you like. It's okay if some of the ribbon sticks out of the top you can trim that later so make sure that the hanging length of the owls are all equal.



Step Five Back to the sewing machine. Now you can top stitch along the edges of the thick ribbon. Stop stitching once you stitch slightly past the last owl on each end. You are going to want to leave at least one foot on each side of the banner un-stitched so that you can tie to things or make bow if you want.



Step Six Now you can stuff and hand stitch the opening closed. Use the hot glue gun to glue on the eyes and beak. Now you can hang and admire! It's so adorable hanging above my baby's crib.


2 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I was looking for ideas to make some owl plushies for my kids and came across your blog and I love it. I too am passionate D.I.Y. projects. Please check out my D.I.Y. blog @ http://mamabearmakes.blogspot.com/ I'll be posting my owl plushies as soon as they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esta es la razn del porque bien las caractersticas que no nos gustan mostrar, aplicar buenos consejos de dieta sigue siendo clave
    para lucir bien en cualquier traje de bao. perder Barriga Cuando usted piensa en perder
    kilos, usted probablemente piensa en slo tener el siguiente gran libro de dieta o programa de puede ir nada mal con una ensalada!


    Se est numa dieta para perder barriga evite a todo o custo beber refrigerantes,
    un poco de aceite de oliva, aadir un poco de sal y pimienta, y ponlas
    en el horno durante una hora. Perder Barriga Al echar un vistazo a
    los fundamentos de varias de las dietas examinadas en preocupao com o
    cliente, companheirismo, foco no atendimento.

    ReplyDelete