Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Things to invest in!


My first blog with be a simple one I am simply going to make a list of equipment and supplies that any D.I.Y. prodigy should invest in if they do not already own.


1. First and Foremost A sewing Machine! + related accessories such as: (bare with me this will take a while) Assorted walking feet, long tweezers, a small screwdriver and a brush (oil if your machine requires) Sewing machine needles for various fabric weights, extra bobbins, a seam ripper (very handy tool), Tape measure, Fabric shears, pinking shears, trimming scissors, rotary cutter, cutting mat, clear quilter's ruler (3"x18" is great or 5"x24"), hand-sewing needles (assorted), Tailor's chalk and or fabric marker, carbon paper and tracing wheel, straight pins, safety pins, pincushion and a thimble.

*I know that sewing machines are not cheap but if you are serious about D.I.Y. you will not be able to live without one! Try finding one that has been refurbished! I bought a refurbished Brother sewing machine from overstock.com for only $99 when it was originally over $300. It works like a new one no complaints! Also it's not a bad idea to buy a cheap one if you don't know how to sew. It's a good idea to make sure it is something you will use a lot before you spend a fortune on a high-tech fancy one.*





2. Paper Scissors
3. Clear tape
4. Clear drying glue
5. Iron and ironing board
6. Hot glue gun with glue sticks
7. Paint brushes (assorted various sizes)
8. Tools (hammer, screwdriver, drill, staple gun, etc.)
9. A surger (this is something I wish to own one day but I list it last because it
is not a necessary item.)

For me this is also a wish list because I do not yet have everything I listed...I tend to buy things as I need them, However if I did own everything listed it would be used frequently...but it is possible to make due without certain items. Sometimes I have borrowed from friends a family also! There is nothing wrong with sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment